Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection

1. I was slightly surprised by the distinction between being an entrepreneur and being a small-business owner. Prior to this course, I had assumed an entrepreneur could be considered an interchangeable term with business owner. However, entrepreneurs strive for growth, while many small-businesses remain stagnant in several fields, including profits and level of innovation.

2. I was a bit confused by the author downplaying the need for money. Obviously, there is much more to a successful business than capital. However, the author almost implies that with proper planning and procedure, that one can get around a lack of capital. While I do understand the importance of being a well-rounded entrepreneur, I do not think I would be very successful without money, especially for start up costs.

3. I would ask the author more specifically about his personal entrepreneurship experiences. Textbooks are meant to apply general knowledge to a vast amount of readers. A one on one, personal conversation would more than likely offer a great deal of insight.

I would also ask the author what his personal opinion on capital would be. More specifically, start up capital when creating a new business. I would want to know what he would calculate to be a good starting price point. I would want to know what potential profit margins he would think would be producible in both the short and long term, and how start up capital relates as a ratio to potential early earnings. I am aware he refers to Gazelles in the economy, and how they have seen 20% growth each year with a 100,000 dollar startup. However, I would be interested in knowing what necessary adjustments would have to be made if that sort of growth did not happen, particularly in the first year.  

4. I don't think there's anything that the author was necessarily wrong about. Being a new student to the world of entrepreneurship,  I think it will take some time to identify what is considered wrong or right in the world of entrepreneurship. Thus, I really cannot identify something as wrong quite yet. However, it is interesting to think that in the future I may be able to look back on this reading and potentially find something that I disagree with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment