Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure

In the past semester, I have experienced failure. I have spent the last semester specifically trying to improve my athletic ability as well as my strength in the gym. I think when people think of failure, we think of it on a business scale. However, it can be in many sections of life. I've tried to improve my box jump, and ended up eating crap and falling in front of everyone. I still get up and try again. Likewise, I've gotten stuck at the bottom of a squat and had to drop the weight in the squat rack. Everyone stares but will I stop? No. I think more than anything that failure teaches us to succeed. It is rare that one succeeds without failing. Not even just once or twice. Failure is something that occurs many times before success happens. This should be applied to all part of life. Without failure it is impossible to be persistent and eventually persevere.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    Great post and thank you for being so honest. Having bad knees, I have never attempted box jumps and mainly for the reasons that you mentioned. I just know that it is coming and don't want to take a chance injuring myself. Being an older gentleman, I do not recover like I used too, and getting up for work the day after an accident like that would not be fun. Good luck in the future and you can view my post here if you would like: http://jww3.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html
    Thank you.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you react to failures is very important. It can really bring a person down, and it's certainly not easy going back up. I do martial arts, which requires a fair bit of coordination and balance of a lot of different things. It can be embarrassing to mess up in-front of everyone, but I can't really improve unless I keep on trying. If you're interested, I'll link my blog post below.

    http://ent3003entreprenerdship.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete